Skip to main content

California

product ingredients on application??

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Pam

I am in the process of completing my Cottage Food License for home bakery in Sacramento County….but need help with page 4 – “Food Product Name” and “Ingredients”. Being a ‘bakey’, there are many items going on the menu. How do I complete the form, as I’ll have a rotating menu; specials each month, etc? Can I just complete with ‘general’ info? ie: Cookies….flour, sugar, butter, etc; Brownies/Bars: same; etc. most baked goods have all the basic ingredients. Please help! I’m confused how detailed it has to be, when I don’t have an standard itemize menu. THANK YOU

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Some counties require every single label with ingredient lists for each and every final product and variation you could possibly make, but I think Sacramento is a little more relaxed about that. However, they may have changed their policy about that, especially considering the fact that their application now asks for “specific foods”. This is one of the limitations of running your business from home — it’s not like a traditional bakery. In case you’re not already aware, you can’t run a bakery from home like you would in a commercial location. You can’t put out signage and people can’t eat your product at your home (tasting should be fine). You probably know that, but just making sure.

Honestly, I don’t know what Sacramento’s requirements are right now. I’d recommend calling them, as sometimes email has a long turnaround time. Be aware that you might need to figure out, in advance, everything you will be making with specific ingredients listed. It’s typically the longest step in the whole setup process.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.