Skip to main content

California

Nut butter or Nut mix ???

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

chrisma malmgren

Hi,
    Can someone help me with my product. I live in fresno ca I applied for a cottage food permit and the city denied me. I make nut mixes that can be used in coffee/ teas and in other food recipes. The city is calling my product a milk based creamer. When in fact it’s made from water, nuts,sugar and flavoring. How do I start the complaint process with my state. My nut mix is a dry product that kept on a shelf. It’s made in a dry form and the consume would add water to make it liquid. It’s a nut based creamer that is made from a nut mix. Do I need to change the name of my product and drop the word creamer, what should I do? My city is is not willing think outside the box or look past the word creamer. My website is jellyfishcoffeecreamers.com Feedback would be great.
    Can someone point me to the complaint form for the state of Ca. My email address is
    simplysusan11@gmail.com

David Crabill
    Keymaster

This is an interesting product… haven’t seen something like it before. On your site you say that your creamers come in “liquid or powder”. It does sound like the liquid version would probably not be allowed.

However, you should be okay with the dry version. As long as the consumer is adding the water, there shouldn’t be any issues. I’d imagine that consumers would also add milk instead, but that doesn’t matter either.

How dry is the product? It looks like you’re purifying cashews, which obviously have oils. Are you then drying out the final product? Is it dry enough that you can touch it with your finger and it won’t stick?

If so, then the health dept really can’t disapprove it, even with the name. There is a person at the CDPH that handles this stuff. I can’t remember her name right now, but if you call them, you should eventually get transferred to her. She has talked with other counties about allowing certain kinds of foods.

chrisma malmgren

Thanks David,
    Yes, my product is a 100% dry and the liquid version is also shelf stable. My creamers are actually Freeze-dry similar to instant coffee. So would it be consider a nut mix or a nut butter?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Even though the liquid version is shelf-stable, that doesn’t mean they would approve it.

If it has a smooth consistency, then it would probably be a nut butter, even though it’s dried. Nut butters that aren’t dried are okay, so I can’t see why this wouldn’t be allowed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.