Skip to main content

California

Marinades, Salad Dressings, Tinctures

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Katrina Wisdom

Vinegars are on the list as well as herb blends. Though, veggies are not. I read in one of the reply’s here (on the pickle topic), that as long as you prepared produce in some way to make it shelf stable, then you can sell it. I’m wondering if I used an apple cider vinegar to marinade veggies like onions, garlic etc. and made it shelf stable if it can really be sold? Also what about a tincture that is made from herb blends or produce and 100 proof alcohol? That is shelf stable for 2-5 years. What department could answer these questions? I live in San Bernardino County, California.

Thank you!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

That’s not quite right… anything that is not shelf stable is not allowed, but not everything that is shelf stable is allowed. For instance, pickles are one of the items that can be shelf stable but are not yet allowed. The law currently doesn’t allow for bottled/preserved veggies.

As far as medicine goes, I really don’t know if that falls under separate rules. You can call your environmental health dept for more info about that and the allowances for cottage food products.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.