Skip to main content

California

Is there a way to sell Prohibited Foods?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Kim
    Participant

Hello,

I live in California and looks like selling baked goods with cream or custard is not allowed. Is there a way to sell these items at a farmer’s market or from home?

If you sell the items you are describing, but leave off the custard and cream, you will be in compliance. But I bet the pastry is a little too dry without the custard or cream. To sell prohibited foods to children, the immunocompromised, and the elderly is very bad practice.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  David Crabill. Reason: Remove comments that are not constructive

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Jonathan, you can sell perishable baked goods at farmers markets by producing them in a commercial kitchen and getting a different license from the health department.

There is no legal way to sell them from home, or to sell homemade perishable baked goods, except for building a commercial kitchen on your property (which is very complex and costly to do — I don’t recommend it for anyone starting a business).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.