Skip to main content

California

Getting Started

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cottage Foods Sandie 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

liz
    Participant

Hi I am planning on starting a new cottage business in San Bernardino county. I have a few questions.

1. I make an amazing whipped cream cheesecake. I realize cream can not be in my goods, but what if I bake it?
    2. Can I sell bottled water along with my goods? Wouldn’t that be included with my seller’s permit?
    3. Can I pass out samples? Do they have to be packaged?
    4. Can I warm up foods in a microwave should customers ask?
    5. Must everything be packaged? I saw somewhere that if they aren’t packaged, there must be a sign indicating the goods were made in a home kitchen. I want people to be able to eat the foods as I serve them, like a sliced chocolate cake. Is there any way to do that?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

1. No — it wouldn’t be allowed on two accounts: the cream and the cream cheese.
    2. I think you can, but not under this law. I’m not sure if you need more than a sellers permit.
    3. Yes, and many counties require that they be prepackaged. I have seen a number of CFOs do open samples, but I’m not sure if they’re doing so legally.
    4. Probably not. If you’re warming a cookie or cake, that may be okay, but your items are supposed to be sold for “consumption off the premises”. Based on the letter of the law, I don’t think you could warm anything, but I think you could provide a microwave for customers to heat things themselves.
    5. Yes, everything must be prepackaged and labeled. You can sell a slice of cake, as long as it’s in a container. You are not allowed to operate like a bakery: you cannot have a seating area for customers, and you cannot sell things openly on a plate. Sometimes this rule gets bent… I have seen CFOs grab a cookie and package it on-the-spot, but technically this isn’t allowed. A sign is not sufficient — all of your products must be individually labeled. If the customer chooses to open the package on-the-spot and eat it immediately, that’s okay.

liz
    Participant

Thank you so much David for taking the time to answer my questions. This information was extremely helpful.

Cottage Foods Sandie

It likely depends on the county. In San Diego, if you have a Class A or B CFO permit, want to sell prepackaged food and do not intend to offer samples, you will not need an additional Temporary Food Facilities (TFF) permit. But, if you want to offer custormers samples to taste, you will need to get a TFF permit costing $250 annually. That also will require you to have a handwashing station (5 gal drum of hot water, soap, paper towels) in your station.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.