Skip to main content

California

Do truffles that contain dairy (butter/milk) qualify for cottage industry in Cal

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Natasha

I live in California and I’ve been a bit confused if my product qualifies for cottage food laws. They are chocolate truffles, and they contain butter and cream, which is added to the headed chocolate and then cooled. The truffles do not need to be refrigerated (but obviously need to be kept cool enough not to melt).

There is no specific classification for truffles under california cottage law, but it does allow fudge, and many fudge recipes have butter or cream in them, as the centers of our chocolates very much resemble a fudge. They have a center that is milk chocolate, cream, butter and flavoring, and are dipped in dark chocolate.

Do you think this product qualifies? When I call the county they seem to think I can do it, but I have not been able to talk to someone specifically familiar with the cottage food law and don’t want to run into any trouble. Thoughts and advice?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Since it has cream in it, it’s unlikely that it will be allowed. Often fudge is made with evaporated or condensed milk, and it’s possible that a fudge recipe made with cream would not be allowed.

But really, it’s entirely up to your environmental health dept to decide. If they aren’t familiar with the law, then they can seek guidance from someone at the CDPH, who is very familiar with the law (can’t remember her name right now).

Charlotte Walter

Hi David- Do you think the cottage food law has changed since 2014? I’m looking to start a business where I’m trying to sell Chocolate Truffles. Of course the ganache will be made with heavy whipping cream. Your input on this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    charlotte

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Charlotte, it hasn’t changed, and I don’t think it will change anytime soon. You will need to use a commercial kitchen. http://forrager.com/faq/#commercial

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.