Skip to main content

California

Definition of Extracts?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Everard
    Participant

I read this the newest version of the Approved Cottage Foods list (Sept 15, 2022): “EXTRACTSCONTAININGATLEAST70PROOFOR35%FOOD-GRADEFOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION ETHANOL/ALCOHOL.
    Only those listed or combinations of those listed are allowed.”
    – This sounds interesting but I am trying to figure out what they mean by extracts? Do they mean like tinctures and such? Infusions? And are flowers of a fruit considered that fruit or is that another category (for example if I wanted to infuse lemon flower bulbs?)
    Thank you for any/all help. I probably have a ton more questions, lol, but figure this might be the best place to start.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

They mean 70 proof alcohol that’s flavored with those (and only those) items. Here are the categories:
    Apple * Apricot * Blackberry * Blueberry * Cherry * Chocolate * Clove *
    Cinnamon * Cranberry * Grapefruit * Lemon * Lime * Orange * Peach * Pear
    * Pineapple * Pomegranate * Raspberry * Strawberry * and Vanilla

You wouldn’t be able to use the flowers, I don’t think. Ultimately, your product name would be “vanilla extract” or “peach extract” or perhaps a combination of some of the categories.

Everard
    Participant

Thank you so much for your timely (and insightful), very much appreciated! I had a follow-up question: are fruit blossoms considered fruits under the Cottage Food Law or would they be another category? And I guess a second question, lol – are DIY saline solutions something covered by the Cottage Food Law (the saline solution would be dialed in for food use).

David Crabill
    Keymaster

For the fruit blossoms, I don’t know but I doubt it. For the second, it probably depends on your county. Some counties will be very strict and will say no to anything that’s not on the official state list of allowed foods. Either way, I recommend that you contact your local environmental health dept for clarification on whether you can make these items.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.