Skip to main content

California

Bay Area CFO

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Heather Roth 10 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Heather Roth

David,

I have a few questions. I am planning to start a cake business in CA (either Napa or Oakland)
    1. Can i sell cakes to different counties? How do I go about being able to sell cakes throughout the entire Bay Area?
    2. I was going to apply for a Class A license, but just in case I need to supplement my income at first with other products for resale I thought perhaps applying for Class B license instead? Does that seem correct?
    3. How do you satisfy the “packaging” requirements/nutrition labels on a cake?
    2. I am assuming that if the business takes off and I gross more than the allowed dollar amount I will need to find commercial space to operate out of, correct? Would I need new licensing? or permits?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance for your assistance!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

You must start your CFO in the home you primarily live in.
    1) You can sell cakes directly in other counties in CA. You can’t sell indirectly unless the counties coordinate with each other and agree on it.
    2) It’s a little more expensive and complicated, but it’s best to get the Class B up-front if you think you’ll use it in the next year. If you switch from Class A to B, you’ll get charged again.
    3) If the cake is unboxed, then you need to have the label separate from the cake and available to the consumer.
    4) Yes, you will need to switch to a commercial license with completely different rules, permits, and fees.

Heather Roth

Thank you so much!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.