Skip to main content

California

Bake sale at a school

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jan Smith

Hi I am the holiday faire coordinator for our school. We would like to sell baked goods at the school and I am told that we need to get a CFO permit. When I looked at the permit it looks like it is for the individual baker and not the school itself. If I want to have a bake sale at the school do I in fact need to get this permit? Doe everyone who bales cookies for the sale have to get the permit? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I live in Santa Clara County.

Thank you!
    Jan

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Jan, unfortunately Santa Clara county seems to be the most restrictive county in the state. They are very strict, at least regarding the cottage food laws.

In short, this cottage food law would not apply to you. Not that it would matter anyway… Santa Clara’s cottage food permit fees are very expensive.

Fortunately, there is an exemption for these types of events in California’s Retail Food Code. On page 90, in Chapter 11, section 114339(b):

“Notwithstanding subdivision (a), nonpotentially hazardous beverages and baked goods may be offered for sale, sold, or given away by a nonprofit charitable organization or by an established club or organization that operates under the authorization of a school or educational facility for fundraising purposes at community events.”

So based on that, you should be able to hold your event without a license. Most states have an exemption like this for these types of events, but your county does have the authority to override that state ruling. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.