Skip to main content

Business

Sell the bottle not the contents?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Brenda 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Brenda

Someone told me that to get around selling beer at a festival they sold tickets for the beer that were then traded for the beer. So the beer was not sold directly. They said I could do this with my vanilla extract. They also said I could sell the containers that just happen to have extract inside them. I don’t want to be fined or arrested. I only make extract once a year, it’s not a business, nor do I want it to be. I sell to a small group, word of mouth. No fairs, craft shows etc. I don’t want to throw away gallons of extract either. How can I sell it legally from home, not a commercial kitchen?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

For one, some states allow homemade extract to be sold under their cottage food law. But the concept of “sell the bottle” or “sell the plate” isn’t going to fly with any ag/health dept. If that’s all you’re selling, then you don’t need to put anything in it. Even though your operation is small, you are engaging in commerce so it is a business, and your business needs to follow the same rules as other food businesses.

Brenda

Thanks David, that’s pretty much what I thought.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.