Skip to main content

Business

Best way to sell?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lauren

Hi all,
    I’m just starting my way down the Cottage Food path. I am wondering what the best places/strategies are for selling your goods are. Of course, we have to adhere to state-specific sales locations ( I live in Colorado), but any tricks and tips, especially for a newbie?
    Thank you!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Hi Lauren, I think that’s totally dependent on what you are selling! For instance, custom cakes are best done from home. What are you planning to make?

Lauren

Thanks David! I am planning to sell herbs and vegetables, GF baked goods and jams.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

If you can get into a farmers market, that would be a great starting point for all of your items. And also ask around about other markets, like artisanal markets.

Regarding the GF baked goods, I’d say that the success of that is a combination of the GF demand in your area and the types of baked goods you’re offering. Some people have been quite successful at launching that type of business with only a Facebook page, especially if they offer customized baked goods. You might consider specializing in one or two specific types of baked goods — keep it simple and see what sells.

Lauren

Thanks very much! Are cottage food producers allowed to sell to co-ops?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

No — that would be considered an indirect sale.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.