Skip to main content

Bread

Muffins w/ no added sugar

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hannah J
    Participant

Hello!

I’ve been interested in starting a cottage food business for a while but am not quite sure if my product would qualify.

I want to make naturally sweetened muffins. These have no added sugar and get their sweetness and flavor from fruit (banana, apple, blueberry, etc) and spices. Since I feed these to my young children, I do not leave them at room temp for longer than 24 hours and generally keep some in the fridge and put the rest in the freezer. I recommend and use the freezer method since they’re easy to thaw and keep fresh.

Does anyone have any insight on whether this would qualify as cottage food? I’m in Texas and have gone through the website and “allowed foods” several times. Generally speaking muffins are allowed but I think they are assuming they would contain copious amounts of added sugar. I want to offer these but don’t want them to be left at room temp for days and make a child sick (as I would generally market these to families looking to avoid added sugar for their children).

Thank you!!

Sway Soturi
    Participant

I’m in California so I’m not familiar with TX laws but in CA it would be qualified for CFO.

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Yes they should be allowed. You just want to make sure they are thoroughly baked and don’t have too much moisture that could cause spoilage. If your product is fine to leave at room temperature for 24 hours, then it’s a nonperishable food. Perishable foods should be refrigerated within 2 hours.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.