Skip to main content

Bread

Bread with cheese and dried tomatoes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Elsie 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lena

Hi,

I’m thinking about starting a cottage food operations with homemade bread and baguette.

My bread contains seeds and nuts but also dried tomatoes. Also one of my recipes is a baguette with jalapeno and cheddar.

As your list says “no foccacia style bread with vegetables and cheese ON TOP” I’m not a hundred percent sure if cheese IN the bread is allowed…

Also do you know if making bread with jalapenos or dried tomatoes is allowed as an CFO?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lena

David Crabill
    Keymaster

It depends on what state you live in, but in almost all states, cheese cannot be an ingredient in any cottage food item. Baking dried tomatoes into bread will probably be allowed. Jalapenos are less likely, but possible if they’re baked in the bread.

Elsie

Hi Lena,

Know this was from a while ago, but did you get to the bottom of your questions with a definite answer?

I’m in the process of getting my permit for baking sourdough as a CFO A. Many of my loaves were not approved on the basis that they contain vegetables ‘that have been cooked/prepared’. For e.g. Sweet potato bread, Beet bread, Butternut squash bread, Garlic bread. The vegetables are pureed and incorporated into the dough then baked thoroughly at 450-500F. Given that vegetables are allowed in some cakes (zucchini bread, pumpkin bread) I do not follow the logic. I am applying in CA.

Would be grateful for any input.

Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.