Skip to main content


Salsa and other Acidic Foods

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Crabill 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #87720

    Michelle Vales

    Just to be clear, we are still not allowed to sell our pressure canned foods such as peas, green beans, etc., but are now allowed to sell our water bathed foods such as homemade salsa, cowboy candy (candied jalapeno’s), and pickles (dill, bread-n-butter, sweet and spicy, etc.) at Farmer’s Markets, or out of our home, as long as their PH level is at or below 4.6. Is that accurate?
    And, all of these allowed canned foods must contain our contact information and the recipe ingredients (not the specific recipe) on the label, right?
    Thank you!


    David Crabill

    I don’t think the method of canning matters so much. The main thing is making sure that the pH is at 4.6 or below. There are 3 methods for ensuring the pH, and you must use one of them. There are some other requirements for acidified foods, like including the batch number and date on the label. I’d recommend reading through all of the info on the Arkansas law page, especially the Allowed Foods section:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.