Skip to main content
cottage food community


Indiana’s laws are restrictive in that sales are only allowed at farmers markets and roadside stands.  Aside from that, however, the laws are quite lenient.  They allow for any food below a certain pH value or water activity level, which basically allows nearly any kind of non-potentially hazardous food.  There is no registration, fees, or process to get setup, and there is no limitation to how much a vendor can sell.


A vendor may take pre-orders (over the internet, for instance), but they can only deliver them to a farmers market or roadside stand.

Allowed Foods

Prohibited Foods

Any food with a pH value of less than 4.6 and a water activity value of less than 0.85 is allowed.

Low sugar jams and jellies, as well as pumpkin and pear fruit butters, may not be allowed.

Only "non-potentially hazardous" foods are allowed, but certain non-PHFs may not be allowed. Most foods that don't need to be refrigerated (foods without meat, cheese, etc.) are considered non-potentially hazardous. Learn more


There is no sales limit


Sample Label

Chocolate Chip Cookies

"This product is home produced and processed and the production area has not been inspected by the State Department of Health." (10-point type)

Forrager Cookie Company

123 Chewy Way, Cookietown, IN 73531

Ingredients: enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), butter (cream, salt), semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy lecithin, natural flavors), brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract (vanilla bean extract, alcohol, sugar), baking soda, salt (salt, calcium silicate)

Produced on 2/6/2016

NET WT 2 lb 4 oz (1.02 kg)

In addition to net weight, the label must also include the volume of the product.

If a labeling a product isn’t practical (e.g. the product isn’t packaged), the vendor may place a placard with the same information up at the point of sale.


Law Dates
July 2009
HEA 1309
This page was last updated on


Do you know who would need to be contacted to get info on getting non HBV foods approved or certified for sale, whether it be online, local farmers markets or at local stores… would it be the Indiana Board of Health?

What about holiday bazaars? I sell canned items through bazaars in the fall and winter. Is this allowed or would this qualify as an “Event”?

I am looking to start a home bakery and am wondering about inspection requirements and also I have pets. If they are blocked off from the kitchen, are they allowed in the house while baking?

    You can only sell homemade food at farmers markets and roadside stands, in which case, you don’t need a kitchen inspection, and there are no pet restrictions. If you want to sell your baked goods elsewhere, you need to use a commercial kitchen instead.

For the holidays.. Is it legal to sell Pumpkin Rolls made in your home and sell them through facebook, or in other words just sell them to random people?

    No, this law only allows you to sell at farmers markets and roadside stands, but I don’t think it even includes pumpkin rolls anyway, as those usually have to be refrigerated. Therefore you cannot sell homemade pumpkin rolls… you would need to produce them in a commercial kitchen.

We wanted to sell prepackaged candy in flea market venues. Is this ok in the state of Indiana? What is required to do so?
thank you

    If you’re just reselling commercially-prepackaged candy, then you don’t need to worry about this cottage food law. You should be able to do that with some kind of permit, but I’m not sure which one. Try contacting your ag dept, and they should be able to guide you to the right dept you need to talk to.

First of all,thanks for all the valuable information you’ve provided. I’m in Carmel,Indiana,and looking to sell my baked goods(cookies.authentic shortbread.bread….). I was thinking to start up my business in a commercial kitchen before reading above. If I was right,I can actually start without a CK but in my own kitchen?! what do you mean “online”of the allowed venues? like complete the money transaction online and then picked up/deliver in-person?

    In this case, although online sales are allowed, all fulfillment (delivery/pickup) must happen at your farmers market booth or roadside stand.

or comment as a guest
* required (your email will not be displayed on the site)
Allowed tags