Skip to main content

Ohio

Cheesecakes at Farmers Market

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Vivian Miller 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I’m writing a vendor handbook for our farmers’ market. Is there a way for someone with a Home Baker’s License to sell their cheesecakes at a farmers market if they take the proper steps to keep refrigeration requirements during travel and display?

Laura

Hello,

I may not be the admin but the answer to this is pretty simple. If the person selling the cheesecakes or any other potentially hazardous food but has a bakers license. Meaning their kitchen was inspected and paid a 10 dollar fee, then they can bake anything they wish hazardous or not, as long as the items are stored properly, and in a situation where as you stated the baker is selling at a farmers market as long as they keep it cool they can sell any item they make. That’s more of the farmers market call, not a cottage food law situation. As cheesecakes do not fall under cottage food law, they fall under potentially hazardous food.

Hope this helps!

Laura

Vivian Miller

Hey Gini,

I am waiting on the Ohio Dept of Agriculture to give me an appointment for the inspection for a Home Bakery License to sell cheesecake at the Farmers Market this spring/summer. As far as I understand it, what Laura has said is true. As long as the cheesecake is kept cold it’s ok to sell. Soon as I get inspected that is a question I will ask the inspector and let you know since I already know you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.