Skip to main content

California

Selling fruit items

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Krystal

So I know fruits aren’t on the approved list but I was wondering if there is anyway to sell fruits out of the home (specifically chocolate dipped fruits), if there is some type of special permit you can get?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Cut or processed fruits aren’t on the list, but unprocessed fruits are okay to sell. I don’t think there’s any way to operate a home business that sells chocolate-covered fresh fruit. http://forrager.com/faq/#commercial

Daniel

David, since you say unprocessed fruits are ok, do you know if you could charge a small fee for people who wanted to pick citrus fruits from trees on your residential property? (for sake of argument, let’s say the fruits are low to the ground and wouldn’t require any ladders or anything)

David Crabill
    Keymaster

I don’t think so. That would clash with zoning laws, which are meant to prevent people from running businesses in neighborhoods. Selling food at your home only works if people pick it up and consume it off the premises. But just to be clear, I’m not actually knowledgeable about how “you-pick-it” programs work… I am just assuming that they need to happen on a farm, outside a residential zone. You would need to call your ag dept and planning division for more info.

Julia

Hello David,
    I would like to reiterate the previous question regarding the sale of fresh fruit (specifically chocolate covered strawberries) out of my home. I don’t understand your answer, that you do not know how someone could run a business out of their home selling these items? Please help! :)

David Crabill
    Keymaster

If you want to sell chocolate-covered strawberries, you need to prepare them in a commercial kitchen. There is no license that would allow you to do this from home. http://forrager.com/faq/#commercial

Andrea

Hello again David,

Can I sell baked goods with fruit baked into them? Ie- a cake with bits of strawberry baked in? I would gather that fresh fruit in between cake layers or on top is not allowed, correct?

Thanks for your help!

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Yes, you can sell thoroughly-baked items that contain fruit, like your cake, strawberry pies, or banana bread. You cannot sell cut fresh fruit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.