Skip to main content

California

How to ship baked goods

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Crabill 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kris Cole

How do you legally ship cookies through Etsy using USPS to ship them? Do you have to prepare them in a commercial kitchen if that is how you sell your cookies? I live in Orange County and I can’t see anywhere in the food cottage law that allows for shipping out of state. If I prepare in a commercial kitchen though, can I ship out of state?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

If you run a cottage food operation, then you can legally only make food from your home kitchen. To make your product in a commercial kitchen, you need to be operating under a different license (which would also allow you to ship out-of-state).

The reason you can’t find anything about out-of-state sales is because those are not allowed under the cottage food law. Most counties also don’t allow shipping at all, but I think that Orange County may be one of the few exceptions. If Orange County has said that it’s okay to ship, then you can legally make your product at home and then ship in-state only.

Jolene

I live in Colorado and am operating under the Colorado Cottage Foods Act. I produce baked goods. I have customers who live out of my town and they would like to know if I can send them baked goods so they don’t have to drive over 100 miles to get the baked goods they like. Can I send baked goods to them through the mail and/or UPS or other mail delivery service?

David Crabill
    Keymaster

Colorado actually doesn’t specifically say in their online resources that shipping is disallowed, but if you asked the health dept, I’m 95% sure they would say no to shipping. You can interpret it however you want, but interstate sales are definitely not allowed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.